Saturday 5 February 2011

How do you hang your skirts and trousers?

During a recent class, one lady asked me how and when to add hanging loops to her skirt so she could hang it up due to the fact that her daughter had "borrowed" all her expandable hangers.

I had one of those moments where you realise you have forgotten more than you can remember!  This is a technique I used to use but had forgotten about it until asked and, oddly enough, until I revisited my new book which I reviewd here 

The technique is so simple and allows your garment to hang without sagging (ie those long hanging loops on RTW clothing).

Here's the finished result.  I applied it to my Susan Skirt



Using lining fabric I cut a (true) bias strip 30cm long and 2.5cm wide. 
Fold it half lengthwise and stitch 6mm from the cut edge.
Use a loop turner/bobby pin/needle to turn the loop
Cut the length in half
Attach to wrong side of waistband,over the side seams, by folding in raw ends approx 5mm and hand stitch in place using a double thread (waxed if you're really going for it!)

Because these loops are horizontal to the garment they can be hung on normal hangers and they won't poke out to the right side whilst wearing.  It's such a simple technique and stops any wrinkling in the wardrobe too!

2 comments:

Irene said...

Never thought to do this, but may-be that's because I have more than enough "skirt" hangers. Great idea, and definitely so much better than those horrid lengths of seam binding that seem to surface when not needed.

Sheryll said...

Thanks - I must give this way a try. I usually attach a loop in the waistband seam, but it does tend to sag!